I want to draw - I have to draw!

This little blog should – in a perfect world - function as a peek into my personal little trip down the road of drawing. I can guarantee there will be plenty of road rage, steep learning curves, crying and thumb sucking involved.
If you scroll down you will see some of my begging steps (hahahaha I'll let that stand - Freudic slip - but I mean *beginning*). Since I never really did any drawing prior, I don’t have any old drawings lying around to share either - unfortunately.
My starting level was nothing, stickmen and general straight line challenged, with an newly added circle handicap – good fucking game.
But I’m determined I will learn this, whatever the cost.
- Tue

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Random stuff from the past week - Now with a pirate twist.


More opdates from the darkside of the moon.

I’m still very much struggling with the Kimon Nicolaides schedules, the missing feel of “finished” pieces gets annoying, yeah sure it’s fun to scribble, but not doing anything… I guess “real” kinda kills the feel of drawing, also it’s almost impossible to measure if you’re getting anything out of the exercises or you misunderstood something fundamental, so it’s basically nothing more than a patience exercise.

Here’s four more Modelled Drawings. I finally got some A3 paper, which ofc is too big for my scanner, but at least I got a somewhat functioning camera :)






I got a bit inspired by a track “Kavinsky – Nightcall” (From the Drive soundtrack), so ofc I had to draw two quick sketches from the movie. Normally I would have approached this really meticulously and spend half my day on correct proportions and details, but instead maybe inspired by Kimon Nicolaides, I just wanted to put something down quick, basically not much pen resting or lifting. Prolly in the range of 5minutes +/- on each, oh and on the second one I kinda fucked it up by choosing a #H pencil, so it can be a bit hard to see.



 I’ve been trying to put together some ideas for a basic zombie theme board game for a while now, nothing serious but I discovered I really enjoy the brainstorming and trying to build something up from the ground.
“If only I would have some friends who would get a bit involved as well!” *hint hint Allan, Martin, Søren and …??*
Anywho, as a study in drawing objects for once and with the help of Google I found some simple refs for some of them, others are just from my imagination.
I would like to bring them into PS and have a bit fun with them, but so far I’ve only started on the knife.
So ye, small collage of some of the “objects” – I would like to draw them in a bit more Cartoony fashion, but I don’t really know how :P


 In my time trolling the conceptart.org forums, I’ve discovered you the need to draw some environments as well, apparently it’s considered a good idea…
Luckily I have a big folder of dual screen wallpapers of different nature motives… yes! Anything to avoid going outside, besides the environment here is 90% traffic… no - busses and metros haven’t been discovered yet, that part of my map is clearly in fog of war.
Anyway, I looked through some of them and hesus Christ I can’t imagine starting on some big mountain range with lakes and trees all over the place, that would take… time and… time, ofc there’s prolly 100 smart techniques to go about it, but watching +100 clearly distinguishable trees and thinking I need to draw that… not gonna happen m8.
I did find a space/earth horizon atmosphere picture though… hahaha I’m so fucking lazy it’s a joke really, but 4 colors blue, grey, black and white, and I can see myself finish it lol. It was prolly a bit to cheesy a choice, since it basically took no time and I doubt I really learned much in the process, still It’s clearly a environment, so… it would have to count for something!

Right?



As usual I got inspired by something external, I was watching a Juno Reactor live show, where there was a picture of a stylized Jolly Roger (pirate flag) and ofc if that doesn’t tickle something inside you… then are you really alive, I mean really really alive?
I had some idea of what I wanted to do, I wanted a “modern” jolly roger, it would have to have a hoodie, be evul and having a scarf mask?, if that’s even word ><
I had to draw the basic sketch on paper, I simply can’t use PS for that, it’s too slow and I loose connection, but after I had that down and loaded in PS I was jumping back and forth from one “smart” idea to another, on my experience level that equals “Ooops – Did I just overwrite my save there???” and “god fucking damnit all these layers confuse me, let me just merge them and save”… ARGHHH!!!!!
But here are some of the ideas and roads I travelled, should be in chronological order.





I meant to change the bones a bit, give them a bit more personality? But instead I draw two paintbrushes and added some red, which worked better in my opinion :) I thought about replacing the circles with paint splatters, but I feel it would just complicate and unbalance things with “details” – that’s what I tell myself at least, maybe I’m just lazy… it’s a possibility.
But now I’m clearly “street” since I got my very own JOLLY ROGER “YYARRR!”

No comments:

Post a Comment