I want to draw - I have to draw!

This little blog should – in a perfect world - function as a peek into my personal little trip down the road of drawing. I can guarantee there will be plenty of road rage, steep learning curves, crying and thumb sucking involved.
If you scroll down you will see some of my begging steps (hahahaha I'll let that stand - Freudic slip - but I mean *beginning*). Since I never really did any drawing prior, I don’t have any old drawings lying around to share either - unfortunately.
My starting level was nothing, stickmen and general straight line challenged, with an newly added circle handicap – good fucking game.
But I’m determined I will learn this, whatever the cost.
- Tue

Sunday, April 29, 2012

The more you learn the less you know.



Feels like I had a slow week, didn’t get a lot out of my spare time - being busy sucks!
It takes nothing for me too loose focus, if I got too many appointments, social engagements etc. I can’t seem to zone in when needed, even when I know it’s all about taking the first step and just start.

Nonetheless I did manage to start something “new”, I’ve been busy with Stephen Kings – The Dark Tower series (read it!) and I always wanted to try drawing out Roland Deschain of Gilead. Being too intimidated too start out on such a task from zero I looked up some old Eastwood movies, Man with no name series and Unforgiving for some reference.  God I fucking love that Man with no name series (or Dollars trilogy w/e), Sergio Leone what a focking boss -they don’t make movies like that anymore…

And then… the pictures, I wanted to try “painting” in Photoshop again… anything to avoid drawing crisp lines with the tablet!!!
I made some gif’s of the process, dunno if they serve any purpose - but I think the process itself is interesting, I at least like to see how other people got to their finished… uhm… work? Dunno the word :)

Roland Deschain of Gilead

Roland Deschain of Gilead

Roland Deschain of Gilead

Roland Deschain of Gilead


Not sure I’m doing this the most effective way, ofc you could argue talking about effective routes and work processes doesn’t really matter as long as it works for you. Still the way I’m doing these is pretty much finishing 98% with one area at the time and then move on, I think maybe I should try fill out the rough shape and then render it down and do details on the whole thing together, but maybe that’s biting off more than I can chew ><
In the end I added some quick textures and tuned the colors etc. – totally an attempt to disguise my mistakes haha or not, but whatever! :P
On the second one - the profile - I tried to add a bit more scars and stuff for a bit more weathered look.

As so many times before I went from one thing to another, not sure how I ended up with Mila Kunis, but think I just stumbled over a picture in my reference pile (Book of Eli).
Holy duck, this was a slightly bigger project, but for once I thought I would start with the worst first, so yeah… face time.


Mila Kunis - The book of Eli


As you can see when you make gif’s of the work process, you suddenly discover your “oopsies” here I at some point dragged her hair flowing down over her forehead a bit back by mistake… fucking layers man! But ofc I didn’t notice my mistake before now and I already layed down shadows… what a bunch of bullshit Tue! Excuses, excuses but ugh… come on ><

I didn’t have much time to  continue my old project from last week, only got to finish up one more addition not sure if it’s Bub or Bob, but the green fella from Bubble Bobble getting it on with a koopa shell – don’t ask. Anyway, no reason to post the whole thing just for one little addition, so here’s just a small pic of the “scene”.


No comments:

Post a Comment