I want to draw - I have to draw!

This little blog should – in a perfect world - function as a peek into my personal little trip down the road of drawing. I can guarantee there will be plenty of road rage, steep learning curves, crying and thumb sucking involved.
If you scroll down you will see some of my begging steps (hahahaha I'll let that stand - Freudic slip - but I mean *beginning*). Since I never really did any drawing prior, I don’t have any old drawings lying around to share either - unfortunately.
My starting level was nothing, stickmen and general straight line challenged, with an newly added circle handicap – good fucking game.
But I’m determined I will learn this, whatever the cost.
- Tue

Sunday, July 15, 2012

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon."... and stuff


 I tried some imagination sketching, in the start I couldn’t even come up with a basic idea of wtf I wanted to draw. A friend told me to just start with a head and then build on that, so I did… It’s extremely weird for me to go around things like that.
I finished the head and thought it looked a bit like that bomb guy from Super Mario, so I added a bowler and a cigar to downplay that a bit, then I didn’t know what the fuck I would do with the body… so he got some generic thing, which didn’t really do all that much, I wanted to force myself to try and do a bit more feel of dimension instead of a flat 2D feel, which turned into a palm in the foreground and a bat in the background – baby steps okay! – adding those got me thinking of some cartoon schoolyard bully asking for lunch money. I got into some problems with the legs, I couldn’t come up with anything other than a flat and boring stance, so yeah… removing them and just giving him some djinn form was easier – don’t judge.
I didn’t have any room to add anything else on the paper and it needed some more to make any sense, I thought about what scenario I could use the djinn and came up with the little girl who lost her rabbit teddy or what you call it, added the boy and called it quits.



Looking back, it was stupid of me to stop there. I should have started over, using my sketch as a concept of wtf it was I was trying to do.
If I had an idea what I was going to draw from the start then this is not how I would have choose to do it, I would have made the Djinn a lot more gaseous and demon like, no solid features just some glowing eyes maybe and have it take up a lot more space, like it looking directly down on the boy instead of this, this is to flat and action less.
Still it’s not too late for doing it over! So who knows :)

 
I got persuaded into trying to draw a Harpy Girl, I thought it would be pretty much impossible since it would require some sorta anatomy knowledge which I don’t have… AT ALL!
Still what’s the worst that could happen…? Instead of going about it as the other cartoon drawing, I did loads of ideas this time, just quick scribbles trying out different things and poses. I ended up on a mix and tried to sketch something rough in SAI and then color it quickly in PS, I didn’t want to overdo things, since I knew I would get into trouble if I went overboard on details, then you suddenly need to know a bit more exact where the elbow joint is located instead of just “uhmmm on the arm somewhere”… It’s a stupid notion, but again… baby steps!
After I did a very quick coloring and a bare minimum of detail, I called it done and tbh was pleasantly surprised, it’s not very innovative or complex, but coming from a stickman background it’s reassuring to see that even if I don’t know it, I must be learning something at least :)



It got to rest a few hours, but I felt I had to come back and at least attempt to finish the coloring, so I did and after a while I got aware I was going with a very one color tone theme which I wanted to break or at least upset slightly, so I did the glowing eyes… it wasn’t really my Harpy anymore, but more some evil fairy or demon in my opinion.



So what have I learned?
I learned I need to lose the idea that the first sketch has to be the final and I should still attempt to do the things I want, instead of just doing compromises without even attempting new things – fuck it man you learn from mistakes, the best is when you can see the mistakes and NOT knowing how on earth you correct them, it may sound stupid, but in my experience I will keep ruminating over the problem and if I’m lucky the solution will come while I’m doing the dishes or something.
I don’t draw nearly as much as I would like – I’m like a level 31 procrastinator – but that doesn’t change the fact that I’m thinking about drawing constantly :)

Oh yeah also did a quick environment study, but haha yeah... nvm.


No comments:

Post a Comment