I want to draw - I have to draw!

This little blog should – in a perfect world - function as a peek into my personal little trip down the road of drawing. I can guarantee there will be plenty of road rage, steep learning curves, crying and thumb sucking involved.
If you scroll down you will see some of my begging steps (hahahaha I'll let that stand - Freudic slip - but I mean *beginning*). Since I never really did any drawing prior, I don’t have any old drawings lying around to share either - unfortunately.
My starting level was nothing, stickmen and general straight line challenged, with an newly added circle handicap – good fucking game.
But I’m determined I will learn this, whatever the cost.
- Tue

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Eye of the... Lion and the usual nonsense - Drawing a Lion and some more eye studies.


So now what cowboy?

I don’t know why, but I’m stressing myself thinking I have to draw for quantity instead of quality. It’s some stupid idea about how much you can learn from one drawing… so if I’m investing say 3 hours I can get a lot more value out of my time by doing a shitton of sketches rather than try to finish something – smart ideas… GOD I HATE ‘EM!

More eyes, some of them are from imagination as well, that kinda surprised me, but hey – GJ subconscious! The pairs kinda fucked me over; I really need to make more use of help lines, like an eye line for example. Now I’m drawing and finishing one and then moving on to the other, and that really is stupid of me, there’s no reason for me to be doing that -.-




But I really wanted to try a bigger drawing for once, I remembered how I wanted to draw the Cheetah or I actually think it’s a Leopard - correct me if I’m wrong please – anyway, when I was drawing those eyes I had a wish I could continue the drawing in that scale and get the whole thing… but yeah, only got A4 here and no tablet ofc (come on lottery ticket!).
After I spend like 1 hour digging up pictures of big cats… procrastinating much?? YES SIR!! I finally kicked myself into gear and started on a lion – yeah there prolly is a story to be found here, but I feel like we should know each other a bit more first.
Anywho, halfway through I felt my sense of limitations with a pencil, It annoys me greatly I don’t know a proper technique to really get a dark tone/value out of my pencils, so yeah I managed to kill my own motivation… gg gj! I did manage to get a bit more work done despite though, but prolly Ricky Gervais is to thank for that, was listening to his stand-up show meanwhile - spit and tears from laughing flying around the desk.

 

I doubt it’s a drawing I will be going back to... or well, maybe trying some charcoal could be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment