I want to draw - I have to draw!

This little blog should – in a perfect world - function as a peek into my personal little trip down the road of drawing. I can guarantee there will be plenty of road rage, steep learning curves, crying and thumb sucking involved.
If you scroll down you will see some of my begging steps (hahahaha I'll let that stand - Freudic slip - but I mean *beginning*). Since I never really did any drawing prior, I don’t have any old drawings lying around to share either - unfortunately.
My starting level was nothing, stickmen and general straight line challenged, with an newly added circle handicap – good fucking game.
But I’m determined I will learn this, whatever the cost.
- Tue

Monday, March 26, 2012

Studying Kimon Nikolaides - The Natural way to draw


Still very much here and still working hard!

I’m busy with “The natural way to draw – by Kimon Nikolaides”, it’s a goddamn extreme program or schedule to start on. Each block of exercise is 3 hours and the last hour is drawing a single blind contour sketch – HOLY FUCKING SHIT ON WHEELS!!! That’s the biggest test of mental strength and focus I’ve ever fucking done EVER, half-way through I want to stab out my eyes with a very fucking dull wooden spoon… and so far I’ve done 6 of those 1 hour sessions - they don’t get any fucking easier… just more agonizing, blind contour = torture, waterboarding got nothing on blind contour if you ask me.
But fuck it, I rather have a red thread to follow than just sitting and waiting for some epiphany, though I do feel Kimon Nikolaides took me on my word when I said I would draw 10.000 circles if that’s what it will take for me to draw a decent circle (not sure if I ever said that… if I didn’t then I meant to and that makes it legit tbh!), I’m not sure how many A4’s I’ve gone through so far, but I’m almost done with my 500 stack :( and that’s with drawing on both fucking sides!!!

Kimon Nikolaides exercises

Here’s the stack so far, I can’t even imagine how big it will be when I’m done… Anyway, the exercises aren’t really meant to be shared and they would make very little sense I think, just take the cross contour, those exercises are literally just lines on a sheet of paper, I don’t follow some outline, instead it’s just from A to B and “oh lets go up now… hey why not go right and hmm up looks fun, oh top of the head now… np lets jump back to the waist and go down the leg a bit…” the outcome is unintelligible even by myself.
I love the gesture exercises though, the fact that it’s supposed to be done “furiously” without stop and never lifting the pen off the paper and not bothering with outlines ofc, is really refreshing.

It's proved a bit hard for me to multitask, meaning I don't get around to draw anything other than these exercises atm, I hope I'll be able to scribble a drawing here and there, but when my motivation and focus are this concentrated I know from experince I need to run with it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment