I want to draw - I have to draw!

This little blog should – in a perfect world - function as a peek into my personal little trip down the road of drawing. I can guarantee there will be plenty of road rage, steep learning curves, crying and thumb sucking involved.
If you scroll down you will see some of my begging steps (hahahaha I'll let that stand - Freudic slip - but I mean *beginning*). Since I never really did any drawing prior, I don’t have any old drawings lying around to share either - unfortunately.
My starting level was nothing, stickmen and general straight line challenged, with an newly added circle handicap – good fucking game.
But I’m determined I will learn this, whatever the cost.
- Tue

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Finished with the two first schedules in Kimon Nikolaides - The Natural Way to Draw


Two first schedules done!!!!1 (DEAR SUPERMAN IF YOUR READING THIS - PLEASE NO MORE CONTOUR /pray)

Not really sure what to think so far, I seem to swing from ”A-ha” to ”uhm… this can’t be right”, so it’s very confusing at times to say the least.
It’s very weird not to be “drawing” in the normal sense, but instead scribble things down furiously and then slow tortured with the blind contour.
I do have some fun moments though, like when I’m trying to mimic/feel the gesture and impulse, for example someone doing a stretching out pose and suddenly I find myself drawing in a heavy *sigh* preparing for incoming muscle pains, or when the pose switches into something more battle orientated and out of the fucking blue there's a small growl and clenched fist… goddamn you feel stupid as fuck, but at the same time that sense of immersion is prolly part of the shizzle – I can’t really say it changes much in the sense of the outcome, it gets a lot more engaging sure, but also 99% of the pose gets lost in the process. That’s the thing I can’t seem to find the right balance between chaos and figure, either it’s a drawing of a “spaghetti bowl” or it’s at least in the ballpark of looking human.
 
What I wouldn’t give for some actual face-to-face  tutoring - it’s the sense of being caught in the rush-hour traffic , well knowing that somewhere there’s a road where you can fucking floor it.

Anywho thought I would at least upload some of those 60 second gesture “scribbles”. These ones doesn’t show the whole spectrum obviously, I’ve gone through my 500 arks of A4 paper and a 4B pencil now (using both sides of the paper ofc.) and the style varies… a whole fucking lot - to put it mildly.

1 minute gesture sketch

1 minute gesture sketch

1 minute gesture sketch

1 minute gesture sketch

1 minute gesture sketch

1 minute gesture sketch
*edit - I can't be 100 % sure, but I think the above pose is the same as the one I posted some days ago, back when I started this -> old sketch
1 minute gesture sketch

1 minute gesture sketch


It’s been a week and some days now and I haven’t drawn anything other than 60 second gestures and marathon contours in this time, so when I was watching an episode of Californication and got the urge to try and capture the gesture or feel, I kinda had to run with it.
I can’t say for sure how much time I spend on each, I put “Katie Melua – If you were a sailboat/It’s all in my head” on repeat and I would guestimate each scribble was about a song or maybe two in length – fairly short and done with the style as my gesture drawings with a little more focus on shapes, but not getting overboard, just trying to zone in and let the pencil do the drawing (Hank Moody’s story in essence is just fucking sublime in my humble opinion!).
The outcome is kinda weird for me, without the connection to the gesture it’s just not the same (for me that connection is out of the window the second I move on), but it’s liberating nonetheless to actually draw something in a short and furious action. Go back just two weeks and I wouldn’t have been able to let go like this, it would have been all analytical, measuring proportions, checking perspective and then “maybe” do a very trembling careful line or two here and there, the thought of starting a line without being fully aware of where it might end, would have been utter alien tbh… so that’s new at least :P

Hank Moody

Hank Moody

Hank Moody

No comments:

Post a Comment