I want to draw - I have to draw!

This little blog should – in a perfect world - function as a peek into my personal little trip down the road of drawing. I can guarantee there will be plenty of road rage, steep learning curves, crying and thumb sucking involved.
If you scroll down you will see some of my begging steps (hahahaha I'll let that stand - Freudic slip - but I mean *beginning*). Since I never really did any drawing prior, I don’t have any old drawings lying around to share either - unfortunately.
My starting level was nothing, stickmen and general straight line challenged, with an newly added circle handicap – good fucking game.
But I’m determined I will learn this, whatever the cost.
- Tue

Friday, March 2, 2012

Drawing sure can be frustrating


Back and forth - it’s a bloody rollercoaster. 

I went back to my favorite model and tried another sketch.
 
I had learned some valuable things with the “live” drawing, one thing is that my focus was about 80% on the pose and where the next line would go, so in effect only 20% of my attention would be on the drawing. I don’t know if it’s the stress of the clock or it’s new... but it’s like trying to blind draw, which I can’t do for shit. Now I’m clueless to whether or not it’s the right technique, but on some level at least I felt like I had found some little piece which I can work on. I still can’t get the quick sketches to look right, but well… only currency learning takes is determination and time!

Back to my sketch… one thing I discovered doing this was my obsession with going overboard on certain details which only creates unbalance in the end - in my hobble opinion anyway.
I zoomed in on one of my mistakes here which is the eye, the fucking little shit eye is around 0.5cm and the point on my pencil is around 0.1cm… take in my not super steady hand and lack of knowhow, I’m trying to fucking distinguish one wrinkle and fold with another on the goddamn retard scale, I can only get misery out of trying this. Compare the eye with like the amount of time I tried to put shadows on her face… it’s not even a contest and I’m fairly sure making the shadows work would account for 10x more in terms of getting the picture to come alive. I just can’t seem to get that through my thick skull, but maybe knowing is half the battle…
Anyway, I know the breast is out of… sync, something is very wrong and I think it’s to do with how I placed the nipple which unbalances the whole thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment