I want to draw - I have to draw!

This little blog should – in a perfect world - function as a peek into my personal little trip down the road of drawing. I can guarantee there will be plenty of road rage, steep learning curves, crying and thumb sucking involved.
If you scroll down you will see some of my begging steps (hahahaha I'll let that stand - Freudic slip - but I mean *beginning*). Since I never really did any drawing prior, I don’t have any old drawings lying around to share either - unfortunately.
My starting level was nothing, stickmen and general straight line challenged, with an newly added circle handicap – good fucking game.
But I’m determined I will learn this, whatever the cost.
- Tue

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Time to put the foot down! study in drawing feet


Time for those feet studies, didn’t quite make it to 5, kinda lost some time during the last few days… excuses… :P

Anyway, I did these feet sketches, but I’m kinda annoyed with how I work with these studies. I’m attacking it like I would a portrait, so instead of doing something that I suspect should only take a couple of minutes I’m throwing +1 hour at it and I fear it’s overkill, but I can’t help it.
I think it’s a habit that comes with inexperience and not really having the guts/confidence to just throw quick lines down on paper. It’s like forcing yourself to draw bigger, knowing you can and should draw bigger doesn’t necessary mean that your next drawing will be filling out your paper, it’s a slow process of changing and overwriting your subconscious(habits) - in my opinion at least. 

The first 3 are random model stock and the 4’th is my own left foot :P I couldn’t find the angle I was looking for so fuck it why not. Drawing the whole shin and ankle coming down and “merging” with the foot was something I utterly feared, but with my composition I might have cheated a bit by cutting of the back of the leg. I started on another where I was looking down in a slight angle from the knee to the foot and that one turned out just as I suspected, so… stupid as I was I threw that shit away, I need to face the fact that the fails are the ones you learn the most from, and when you fail big time that’s a great fucking opportunity to analyze and learn from that mistake… “You can’t be afraid of failure” as Arnold says - it’s pretty fucking high on the  cliché-o-meter, but it’s still an obvious truth and one I really need to learn to embrace. 




No comments:

Post a Comment