I want to draw - I have to draw!

This little blog should – in a perfect world - function as a peek into my personal little trip down the road of drawing. I can guarantee there will be plenty of road rage, steep learning curves, crying and thumb sucking involved.
If you scroll down you will see some of my begging steps (hahahaha I'll let that stand - Freudic slip - but I mean *beginning*). Since I never really did any drawing prior, I don’t have any old drawings lying around to share either - unfortunately.
My starting level was nothing, stickmen and general straight line challenged, with an newly added circle handicap – good fucking game.
But I’m determined I will learn this, whatever the cost.
- Tue

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Using basic shapes to draw is goddamn hard

Frustrations… fuck ’em. (whine and a bunch of quick sketches mostly)

I’m feeling major lost at the moment, it’s really frustrating for me to not have a clear plan of action, like step-by-step being told what to do. Now it’s really more on gut than anything, I can follow some tutorials here and there, but at some point they will lose me, either they start to get to abstract in their descriptions or they will go purely into theory etc., I need a much firmer frame and I need to be drawing not ‘efing reading.
If anyone out there in “TV-land” knows any good books that take you step-by-step through the basics and with a SHITTON of exercises, then please do give a shout ;)

Now for the drawings – I started on Vilppu’s Manual, to try and grasp the whole quick sketching thing and why on earth I just couldn’t make sense of that whole world AT ALL!
These are max 30 second gesture sketches, meaning the intention are to capture the action/flow or what you might call it. First ones are from number 1 “stickman” and then some middle ones ‘til the last ones, I probably did somewhere on the dangerous side of +400… yeah - I’m a freak >< Anyway at first I couldn’t keep up at all and didn’t knew how the fuck the whole process was supposed to be done, somewhere halfway through I started with just 1 line which wasn’t any outline or contour thing, but more an attempt to create motion.




Then I started with Circles and how you could use circles to make sketches etc. But see this is where most books will fuck me over like this one did, because while he’s blabbering on about circles his examples are quick sketches without a single fucking circle instead it’s all curves, I know it’s nitpicking but for me that shit doesn’t work. I’m zoning out into some circle land where I get REALLY pissed off and annoyed, because I can’t come up with anything and I’m trying to make circles into figures and then give those figures life, all the while the fucktard is using curves, I’m to literal for that shit lol.




Next ones are squares, okay those are a bit more my thing, those shits follow some rules at least. Still it doesn’t really sink in to an extent I can use it for much, so most of these are just straight copies from the book as I recall – If for nothing else I can goddamn copy what the book shows and hope there is some sort of learning still.




And then we got to cylinders. It would be an understatement to say I had a feeling of utter hopelessness at this point, but still fuck it if for nothing else I’ll give it a try, I can always just fucking copy.
To my surprise these cylinders made complete sense, where the circles and squares only confused me, the cylinders was like bacon – Nam-nam-nam – I understand.





Last one is just two attempts at putting that shit into practice. Somewhere I had picked something up, not a feeling of clear understanding AT ALL! But more a little baby step on a long road.

No comments:

Post a Comment